MRHA6 inspects your rental home to ensure it meets the agency’s Housing Quality Standards (HQS). HQS are the minimum standards a unit must meet in order to be assisted under the program. There are four types of inspections conducted by MRHA6:
- New Contract Inspection – Conducted when a family submits a request to move to a new unit.
- Regularly Scheduled Inspection – Conducted on units currently covered under a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract.
- Special Inspection – Conducted outside the regularly scheduled inspection.
- Quality Control (QC) Inspection – Type of inspection to verify the original inspection was conducted in accordance with HQS to verify quality control.
For a copy of the HQS checklist please click here
New Contract Inspections
Once a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) packet is received and reviewed, a New Contract Inspection will be scheduled.
- The owner/landlord will be contacted to schedule the inspection.
- The owner/landlord/authorized representative must be present at the inspection.
- The inspector will compare the unit to other comparable units and determine the reasonable rent.
- The inspection report summary will be provided after the inspection.
- If the unit does not pass, the inspection will be rescheduled one time.
- If the unit does not pass after the second inspection, the RFTA packet will be disapproved.
Regularly Scheduled Inspections
Units under a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract will be inspected at least biennially (every two years).
- The owner/landlord and participant will receive written notification of the inspection date and timeframe.
- The participant or authorized representative (18 years or older) must be present at the inspection.
- The inspection results will be mailed to the owner/landlord and the tenant.
- If the unit does not pass due to a non life-threatening deficiency, a self-certification form will be mailed and must be returned within 30 days.
- If the unit does not pass due to a life-threatening deficiency, repairs must be made within 24 hours. A recheck inspection will be scheduled.
Special Inspection and QC Inspection
Special inspections and QC inspections will be scheduled as determined by MRHA6.
- The owner/landlord and participant will receive written or verbal notification of the inspection date and time frame and the reason for the inspection.
The participant or authorized representative (18 years or older) must be present at the inspection.